Recently once again a proposal for assigning the official tag for the Mahabali frog to come up before the State Wildlife Advisory Board which was recommended by the Kerala Forest Department.
About Mahabali frog
- The Mahabali frog is also known as the pignose frog.
- It is endemic to the Western Ghat.
- Habitat: These frogs prefer loose, damp and well-aerated soil close to ponds and ditches or streams.
- Specific Traits of this frog
- Unlike other frogs, it has very short hind legs, which do not allow it to leap from one spot to another.
- It buries itself all through the year and surfaces only one day to lay eggs.
- Conservation Status
- IUCN - Near Threatened
Q1) How many Ramsar sites are there in Kerala?
There are three Ramsar sites in Kerala namely, Vembanad Lake, Ashtamudi Lake and Sasthamkotta Lake in Kerala.