Recently a herd of elephants in Odisha drank the fermented water to make mahua and went into a deep sleep.
- The flowers of Mahua tree (Madhuca longifolia) are fermented to produce an alcoholic drink also called Mahua.
- Tribal men and women in various parts of India traditionally make this liquor.
- It is found in West Bengal, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar, in parts of northern and central India, in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- Mahua is considered holy amongst the tribes of India.
- It is called the ‘Tree of Life’. Not just the flower, each and every part of the tree is used for something or the other. Even the shell of the fruit is used at the time of funeral rites.
Mahua Nutra beverage:
- TRIFED in association with Foundation for Innovation and Technology Transfer (FIIT) has developed this value added product Mahua nutra beverage made out of Mahua flower so that the tribals can benefit maximum from the value addition of MFPs and development of technologies.
- This is the first of its kind of initiative in the State of Jharkhand and the country by TRIFED.
- The Mahua Nutra beverage in its improvised form is blended with Pomegranate fruit juice, which enhances the nutritional value and masks the flavour of Mahua beverage by improving its aroma and texture.
Source : Indian Express