About the Matua Community:
- Matuas trace their ancestry to East Bengal, and many of them entered West Bengal after Partition and after the formation of Bangladesh.
- Today, Matuas constitute the second largest SC population of West Bengal.
- The Matua community has members on either side of the Bengal border.
- The Matua Mahasangha, a religious reform movement and a sect was formed by Harichand Thakur in East Bengal in the mid-1800s.
- It is a Hindu reform movement which has a considerable number of adherents in West Bengal as well as in Bangladesh.
Q1) Who was Harichand Thakur?
Sri Sri Harichand Thakur was a Hindu monk known for his immense contribution for uplifting the untouchables in the undivided Bengal. He dedicated his whole life to bring salvation to the downtrodden and founded a sect of Vaishnavite Hinduism called “Matua”.