Recently, the Indian Navy has carried out a successful test-firing of a Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM) and a ship-launched version of BrahMos missile.
About Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile:
- This weapon system also called the ‘Abhra’ Weapon System is a state-of-the-art medium-range air defence weapon system.
- It is a joint venture of DRDO and Israeli Aerospace Industries (IAI) and is produced at Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).
- It is designed to destroy hostile aircraft, helicopters, cruise missiles and drones at a 70km range.
What is a BrahMos Missile?
- It is a joint venture of India and Russia which makes supersonic cruise missiles
- It has a speed of 2.8 Mach or about three times the speed of sound.
- The missiles can be launched from a range of platforms such as submarines, ships, aircraft, or land.
- BrahMos Aerospace is also developing the BrahMos NG, a compact version of the missile.
Q1) What is a Submarine?
Submarine is a naval vessel that is capable of propelling itself beneath the water as well as on the water’s surface. This is a unique capability among warships, and submarines are quite different in design and appearance from surface ships.