Recently, the union Minister of Health and Family Welfare launched the MedTech Mitra portal.
About MedTech Mitra portal
- It is an online portal that aims to assist medtech innovators in clinical evaluation, regulatory facilitation, and uptake of new products.
- The portal will be coordinated collaboratively by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO), under the guidance of NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission.
- The MedTech Mitra platform, along with the recent medical devices policy and the production-linked incentive scheme, will together provide a boost to the medical devices sector and encourage domestic manufacturing of these devices,
- The new initiatives would facilitate indigenous development of affordable, quality MedTech devices and diagnostics, leading to a considerable reduction in the import dependence of this sector.
- It will ensure ease of innovation and doing R&D for emerging start-ups,”
- It would provide end-to-end guidance to startups, making their journey from idea to product smooth. The platform will also help them bridge gaps and help in animal as well as clinical trials.
- It would also foster partnerships between engineers, scientists and clinicians, which was lacking in the sector.
Key points about Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation
- It is the Central Drug Authority for discharging functions assigned to the Central Government under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act of 1940.
- It works under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
- Under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, CDSCO is responsible for -approval of drugs,conduct clinical trials and laying down the standards for Drugs etc,
- Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI): DCGI is the head of the department of the CDSCO of the Government of India responsible for approval of licences of specified categories of drugs such as blood and blood products, IV fluids, vaccines and sera in India.
Q1) What Is Atal Innovation Mission?
It is the Government of India’s flagship initiative to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in the country and was set up in 2016. Its objective is to create and promote an ecosystem of innovation and entrepreneurship across the country at school, university, research institutions, MSME and industry levels.
Source: Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare and Chemicals & Fertilizers Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya virtually launches 'MedTech Mitra': A Strategic Initiative to Empower MedTech Innovators and Advance Healthcare Solutions