Recently, the Union Minister for Culture, Tourism And Development of North Eastern Region informed the Lok Sabha about the Mera Gaon Mera Dharohar programme.
About Mera Gaon Mera Dharohar programme:
- It is a pan-India initiative of the Ministry of Culture under National Mission on Cultural Mapping and was launched on 27th July 2023.
- It seeks to compile comprehensive information detailing the life, history, and ethos of Indian villages and to make the same available to virtual and real-time visitors.
Under the MGMD, information is collected under seven broad categories as given below-
- Arts and Crafts Village
- Ecologically Oriented Village
- Scholastic Village linked with Textual and Scriptural Traditions of India
- Epic Village linked with Ramayana, Mahabharata and/or Puranic legends and oral epics
- Historical Village linked with Local and National History
- Architectural Heritage Village
- Any other characteristic that may need highlighting such as fishing village, horticulture village, shepherding village etc.
- The main objective of the project is to culturally map India's 6.5 lakh villages, spanning 29 States and 7 Union Territories, on a comprehensive virtual platform.
- Through MGMD, people will get an opportunity to immerse themselves in the diverse and vibrant cultural heritage of India.
- The core idea behind this project is to encourage appreciation for India's culture and traditions, paving way for economic growth, social harmony, and artistic development in rural communities.
- Financial outlay of Rs.353.46 Crore is approved under the scheme of Financial Assistance for Promotion of Art and Culture consisting 08 scheme components namely;
- Financial Assistance to Cultural organizations with National Presence
- Cultural Function & Production Grant (CFPG):
- Financial Assistance for the Preservation & Development of Cultural Heritage of the Himalayas:
- Financial Assistance for the Preservation & Development of Buddhist/Tibetan Organization
- Financial Assistance for Building Grants including Studio Theatres
- Financial Assistance For Allied Cultural Activities
- Scheme for Safeguarding the Intangible Cultural Heritage
Q1:What is the National Mission for Cultural Mapping?
It was launched in 2017 by the Union Ministry of Culture with a aim to develop a comprehensive database of art forms, artists and other resources across the country. The government has identified and documented distinctive features of more than one lakh villages across the country.
Source:MERA GAON MERI DHAROHAR