The Mid Planning Conference (MPC) of MILAN 24 Exercise to be hosted by the Indian Navy at Visakhapatnam from 19 - 27 February 2024.
About Milan Exercise
- The Flagship event, MILAN is a biennial multilateral naval exercise.
- It was incepted by the Indian Navy in 1995.
- Originally conceived in consonance with India's 'Look East Policy, MILAN expanded in ensuing years with the Govt of lndia's 'Act East policy' and Security And Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR) initiative, to include participation from other Friendly Foreign Countries (FFCs).
- The harbour phase of MILAN 24 will comprise of International Maritime Seminar, City Parade at RK Beach, Swavlamban Exhibition, Subject Matter Expert Exchange and Milan of Young Officers. Ships, Maritime patrol aircraft and submarines of Friendly Foreign Countries would participate in the sea phase along with Indian Navy units.
- They will involve large-force manoeuvres, advanced air defence operations, Anti-submarine warfare and Anti-surface warfare operations.
- MILAN 22 was conducted at/ off Visakhapatnam from 25 Feb - 04 Mar 22 and witnessed participation from 39 countries.
Q1) What is the aim of the SAGAR initiative?
The Security and Growth for All in the Region ( SAGAR ) initiative aims to strengthen the security and stability of the Indian Ocean region. This includes efforts to combat piracy, terrorism, and other security threats in the region. India seeks to collaborate with other countries to enhance maritime security.