The Central government has recently formulated an action plan to promote exports of millet. The government has planned to facilitate participation of exporters, farmers, and traders in 16 international trade expos and Buyer Seller Meet for exports and promotion of Indian millets across the globe.
- According to the action plan, Indian missions abroad would be roped in branding and publicity of Indian millets.
- This include, identification of potential buyers such as departmental stores, supermarkets, and hypermarkets for organizing business-to-business meetings and direct tie-ups.
- As part of the promotion of Indian millets, Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority has planned to showcase millets and its value-added product on various global platforms.
International Year of Millets:
- The United Nations has declared 2023 as the International Year of Millets.
- India is one of the leading producers of millet in the world with an estimated share of around 41 percent in global production.
- The country recorded 27 percent growth in millet production in 2021-22 which stood at 15.92 million metric tonnes.
- The country's top five millet-producing states are Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat, and Madhya Pradesh.
- It is estimated that the millets market is set to grow to 12 billion US dollars by 2025 from the current 9 billion dollars.
Source : All India Radio