The Ministry of Home Affairs has recently decided to introduce Millets, Shree Anna in the meals of personnel of Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
- The decision to introduce 30 per cent Millets in the meals.
- The Ministry had asked all the forces to take action for the introduction of Millets based menu.
- The Ministry informed that Millets will also be made available in Kendriya Police Kalyan Bhandar, Grocery Shops of the campuses and Ration Store by setting up the dedicated counters and corners.
- The forces will organize training of cooks in preparing millets based dishes through reputed institutes in this field.
International Year Millets:
- The United Nations had declared 2023 the International Year Millets as recognizing the importance of millets, and creating a domestic and global demand along with providing nutritious food to the people, at the behest of the Government of India.
- Millets are good source of proteins, gluten-free, low in Glycemic Index (GI) and rich in dietary fibre, micronutrients including calcium, iron, phosphorus etc, and phyto-chemicals.
- The campaign of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to promote Shree Anna will fulfill nutritional requirements of crores of people of the country.
- International Year of Millets (IYOM) - 2023 will provide an opportunity to increase global production, efficient processing and better use of crop rotation and promote millets as a major component of the food basket.
Q1) What is the gluten-free means?
A gluten-free diet excludes any foods that contain gluten, which is a protein found in wheat and several other grains. It means eating only whole foods that don't contain gluten, such as fruits, vegetables, meat and eggs, as well as processed gluten-free foods like gluten-free bread or pasta.