Recently, the Ministry of Power and the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy have jointly launched a National Mission on Advanced and High-Impact Research.
- The mission aims to quickly identify emerging technologies in the power sector and develop them indigenously, at scale, for deployment within and outside India.
- The Mission will be funded by pooling financial resources of the Ministry of Power, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and the Central Public Sector Enterprises under the two Ministries.
- Additional funding will be mobilized from the Government of India's budgetary resources.
- Duration: The mission is Planned for an initial period of five years from 2023-24 to 2027-28.
- Structure of the Mission: The Mission will have a two-tier structure –
- A Technical Scoping Committee: It will be chaired by the Chairperson of the Central Electricity Authority.
- It will identify ongoing and emerging research areas globally and recommend potential technologies for development under the Mission.
- Apex Committee: It will be chaired by the Union Minister for Power & New and Renewable Energy.
- It will deliberate on the technology and products to be developed and approve the research proposal.
- Areas Identified for Research: Alternatives to Lithium-Ion storage batteries, Modifying electric cookers/pans to suit Indian cooking methods, Green hydrogen for mobility (High-Efficiency Fuel Cell), Carbon capture etc.
Q1) What is Renewable energy?
Renewable energy refers to energy sources that are naturally replenished and have a significantly lower environmental impact compared to conventional fossil fuels. These energy sources are considered sustainable because they can be used indefinitely without depleting natural resources or contributing to harmful greenhouse gas emissions.