The CSIR’s National Environmental Engineering Research Institute recently said it will develop a grid-based mitigation strategy to tackle the air pollution problem in Delhi.
About National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI):
- It is a premier research institute created and funded by the Government of India dedicated to environmental science and engineering.
- The institute's primary mission is to conduct research and development activities related to various aspects of environmental management, pollution control, and sustainable development.
- NEERI falls under the Ministry of Science and Technology of the central government.
- It was established in Nagpur in 1958 with a focus on water supply, sewage disposal, and communicable diseases, and to some extent on industrial pollution and occupational diseases found common in post-independent India.
- Headquarters: Nagpur
- NEERI has five zonal laboratories at Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai.
- Organizational Expertise: Climate/Environment, Health, Lab or Field Testing, Monitoring and Evaluation, Policy Development, Research, Standards, Technology and Fuel R&D.
Key Facts about Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR):
- It is one of India's premier scientific and industrial research organizations.
- It was established as an autonomous body by the government of India in 1942 to promote scientific knowledge and boost industrialization and economic growth.
- It is now one of the largest publicly funded R&D organizations in the world.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CSIR maintains a large network of national laboratories and field stations and employs thousands of scientists, researchers, and support staff
- Prominent laboratories: Cellular and Molecular Biology (Hyderabad), the Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute (Pilani), the Central Institute of Mining and Fuel Research (Dhanbad), the National Aerospace Laboratories (Bengaluru), the National Institute of Oceanography (Goa), and the National Botanical Research Institute (Lucknow).
Q1) What is the Central Institute of Mining and Fuel Research?
CSIR- Central Institute of Mining and Fuel Research (CIMFR) Dhanbad, a constituent laboratory under the aegis of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi aims to provide R&D inputs for the entire coal-energy chain encompassing exploration, mining and utilization and mission to develop & deliver sustainable cutting edge technologies for social upliftment and industrial advancement. The laboratory also strives to develop mineral-based industries to reach the targeted production for the country's energy security and growth with high standards of safety, economy and cleaner environment.