About National Florence Nightingale Awards 2021:
- The National Florence Nightingale Awards were instituted in the year 1973 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare as a mark of recognition for the meritorious services rendered by nurses and nursing professionals to society.
- The award is given to outstanding Nursing personnel employed in central, State/UTs, Private, Missionary and Voluntary Organizations.
- Florence Nightingale was an English social reformer, statistician and the founder of modern nursing.
- Nightingale came to prominence while serving as a manager and trainer of nurses during the Crimean War, in which she organised care for wounded soldiers at Constantinople.
- Her efforts to formalize nursing education led her to establish the first scientifically based nursing school—the Nightingale School of Nursing, at St. Thomas’ Hospital in London.
Source : Times of India