NHPC has inked an initial pact to invest Rs 4,000 crore in 750 MW Kuppa Pumped Hydro Storage Project at Chhota Udaipur in Gujarat.
About NHPC Limited
- NHPC Limited (formerly known as National Hydroelectric Power Corp.) is a Government of India Mini Ratna Category-I Public Sector Enterprise under the Ministry of Power.
- It was incorporated in the year 1975 under the Companies Act, 1956, with the objective of developing hydroelectric power in the country.
- With an authorized share capital of Rs.15,000 crore. NHPC is a premier organization in the country for the development of hydropower.
- The company is mandated to plan, promote, and organize an integrated and efficient development of power in all aspects through conventional and non-conventional sources in India and abroad.
- NHPC is headquartered in Faridabad, Haryana.
- The main functions of the NHPC include
- Planning, execution, operation, and maintenance of hydroelectric power projects.
- Exploring new sites for hydroelectric projects.
- Development of small hydroelectric projects
- Research and Development (R&D) in the field of hydroelectric power
- Through long-term power purchase agreements, it sells electricity to electricity utilities owned by state governments/private distribution companies on a wholesale basis.
- It also carries out business operations, which include the planning of wind and tidal wave projects in the country, and has interests in various projects in the construction and under development phases.
Q1) What is hydroelectricity?
Hydroelectric power is the electricity produced from generators driven by turbines that convert the potential energy of falling or fast-flowing water into mechanical energy.