Recently, the cabinet gave approval for the continuation of the North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme (NESIDS) with an approved outlay of Rs.8139.50 crore.
About North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme (NESIDS):
- It has been approved by the Government of India as a new Central Sector Scheme in 2017.
- Under the scheme guidelines of NESIDS, 100% centrally funding is provided to the State Governments of North Eastern Region.
- The funding is provided for the projects of physical infrastructure relating to water supply, power and connectivity enhancing tourism and Social infrastructure relating to primary and secondary sectors of education and health.
- New guidelines
- For the period from 2022-23 to 2025-26 Cabinet approved two components viz. NESIDS-Road and NESIDS-Other Than Road Infrastructure (OTRI).
- The scheme is a central sector scheme with 100% central funding.
- The decisions of the Government including merger of the erstwhile North East Road Sector Development Scheme (NERSDS) into NESIDS-Road component etc. necessitated formulation of fresh guidelines to administer and implement the restructured NESIDS during the balance period of the 15th Finance Commission.
- Objective of these schemes
- To supplement the efforts of the different Central Ministries & Departments for uncovered development/welfare activities.
- These schemes help in gap-filling support to the eight North Eastern States as per their felt needs, by taking up projects
Q1) What is Social infrastructure?
Social infrastructure refers to the fundamental facilities, systems, and structures that support the well-being, development, and quality of life of a society or community. These components are essential for the functioning of a society and its ability to meet the needs of its citizens.