After a successful 15-day pilot project the One Station One Product scheme has gained popularity among local artisans and workers.
About One Station One Product scheme
- It is an initiative by the Indian Railways, under the Ministry of Railways.
- It was launched with a vision to promote ‘Vocal for Local’.
- It provides uniquely designed sale outlets for locals to sell indigenous products nationwide.
- This scheme is designed by the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.
- It aims to build each railway station as a promotional hub and showcasing local and indigenous manufacturing products.
- Under the scheme, the allotment is done to all eligible applicants on a rotational basis.
- The pilot of the scheme was started on March 25, 2022.
- This scheme is providing welfare of local artisans, potters, weavers, tribals etc.
- The eligible applicant will be allotted a temporary stall or kiosk for a period of 15 days on deposition of Rs 1,000 with Railways.
- Sale outlets are provided at stations nationwide, allotted through a tendering process.
- The zonal railways will identify the stations, eligible products and the vendors.
Q1) What is Vocal for Local?
Vocal for Local" is a campaign or initiative aimed at promoting and encouraging the use and purchase of locally made or indigenous products. It gained momentum as a movement in several countries, including India, where it was popularized to support local businesses, artisans, craftsmen, and manufacturers.