The Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Sajag, an Offshore Patrol Vessel, recently arrived at Port Sultan Qaboos, Muscat, Oman for a three-day visit as part of the overseas deployment of ICG ships to West Asia.
About Sajag OPV
- ICGS Sajag is part of the Indian Coast Guard fleet of OPVs, based on the West Coast of India in Porbandar, Gujarat.
- It has been designed and built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL).
- It is the third in the series of 105-meter OPVs being built by GSL.
- It operates under the operational command of the Commander Coast Guard Region (North West).
- Sajag has undertaken various Coast Guard operations, including coastal security, IMBL / EEZ surveillance, anti-transnational crimes, and maritime SAR and pollution response operations in the past.
- The ship is equipped with modern weapon systems, sensors, and state-of-the-art navigation and communication systems.
- It is propelled by two 9100 KW diesel engines and can attain a maximum speed of 26 knots.
- It has an endurance of 6000 nm at an economical speed.
- It is fitted with a 40/60 Bofors gun and two 12.7 mm guns.
- It is designed to carry one twin-engine helicopter and four high-speed boats, including two inflatable boats for boarding operations, search and rescue, law enforcement, and maritime patrol.
- The ship is also capable of carrying pollution response equipment to contain oil spills at sea.
- The ship is also equipped with an Integrated Bridge System (IBS), Integrated Platform Management System (IPMS), Power Management System (PMS) and High Power External firefighting (EFF) system.
Q1) What is the Indian Coast Guard (ICG)?
It is an armed force that protects India's maritime interests and enforces maritime law, with jurisdiction over the territorial waters of India, including its contiguous zone and exclusive economic zone.it was formally established in 1978 by the Coast Guard Act, 1978 as an independent Armed force of India. It operates under the Ministry of Defence. The organization is headed by the Director General Indian Coast Guard (DGICG). Its headquarters is located at New Delhi.