Recently, scientists at the Institute of Advanced Study in Science and Technology (IASST) have developed a Nano generator device for harvesting light energy using organic material.
About Organic Nano generator:
- The device can generate current and voltage from minute amounts of heat or light that fall on it.
- The experimental exploration of energy materials has led to the successful synthesis of an organic energy material called polyaniline-rubrene, and they have fabricated an Organic Pyroelectric Nanogenerator (OPyNG).
- The pyroelectric effect of the device is induced by the light-induced change in spontaneous polarization occurring in the ultra-thin oxidized surface layer of the polyaniline-rubrene thin film.
- What is pyroelectric effect?
- The pyroelectric effect is the change in polarization due to the change in temperature.
- Ferroelectric materials are expected to be strongly pyroelectric because ferroelectric materials have a large range of temperature-dependent spontaneous polarization
- This effect holds a unique advantage in the pyroelectric nanogenerator (PyNG), as it can optically induce the pyroelectric effect, which is useful for energy harvesting.
- The fabricated OPyNG device utilizing organic material provides new insights and opens up new avenues for harvesting energy from organic materials.
- The OPyNG operates in the UV-visible-NIR region in self-powered mode, and it offers significant advantages as it can function as a self-sustainable standalone device.
Q1) What is Polyaniline?
Polyaniline is a versatile and widely studied conducting polymer. It is formed through the polymerization of aniline monomers, which are aromatic amines.