Indian scientists have recently developed an Overhauser Magnetometer.
About Overhauser Magnetometer:
- The Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG), an autonomous research institution under Department of Science & Technology, Government of India, has developed the magnetometer as part of its technology development program.
- It will pave way for reducing the cost of sampling and sensing experiments essential for geomagnetic sampling.
- The performance of this indigenously made magnetometer is at par with a commercial OVH sensor that is currently installed at the magnetic observatories of IIG.
- Overhauser Magnetometer is one of the most accurate magnetometers extensively used by all magnetic observatories around the world.
- They are known for their higher accuracy, higher sensitivity, and efficient power consumption and hence find applications in all magnetic observatories worldwide as well as in international space programs.
- It has so far been imported for such purposes in India.
Source : PIB