Gurmeet Ram Rahim, the head of Dera Sacha Sauda, was released from jail on a 40-day parole on October 15.
- Parole is a system of releasing a prisoner with suspension of the sentence.
- The release is conditional, usually subject to behaviour, and requires periodic reporting to the authorities for a set period of time.
- A broadly similar but subtly different concept is furlough, which is given in case of long-term imprisonment.
- While furlough is seen as a matter of right, to be granted periodically irrespective of any reason and merely to enable the prisoner to retain family and social ties, parole is not a matter of right and may be denied to a prisoner even when he makes out a sufficient case.
- Temporary release under provisions for parole or furlough is given by the state, but its decision can be challenged before a court of law.
Source : Indian Express