Recently, the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment informed the Rajya Sabha about the PM-AJAY scheme.
About PM-AJAY Scheme
- Pradhan Mantri Anusuchit Jaati Abhyuday Yojana (PM- AJAY) is a 100% Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
- It is a merged scheme of three Centrally Sponsored Schemes, namely Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana (PMAGY), Special Central Assistance to Scheduled Castes Sub Plan (SCA to SCSP), and Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana (BJRCY).
- The main objective of the scheme is to increase the income of the target population by way of various income generating schemes, skill development and infrastructure development.
- To reduce the poverty among the target population and bring them above the poverty lines.
- Eligibility Criteria
- The Scheduled Castes persons living below the poverty lines are eligible for getting benefits under this scheme.
- In case of Infrastructure Development, the villages having 50% or more SC population are eligible for grants under the Scheme.
- It is being implemented since 2021-22 as three components, which are as under:-
- Development of SC dominated villages into an ‘Adarsh Gram’ component
- Grants-in-aid for District/State-level Projects for socio-economic betterment of SCs’ component
- Construction of Hostels in Higher Educational Institutions’component
Q1) What are the objectives of Pradhan Mantri Adi Adarsh Gram Yojana?
The objectives of these schemes are to achieve integrated socio-economic development of selected villages through a convergence approach, improving the infrastructure in vital sectors like health, education, connectivity and livelihood. It includes maximizing the coverage of individual / family benefit schemes of the Central / State Governments.