Indian Air Force (IAF) is set to place orders for 156 'Made-in-India' Prachand attack helicopters from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
About Prachand attack helicopters:
- It is an indigenously developed Light Combat Helicopter (LCH).
- It is developed by state-run aerospace major Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.
- The multi-role attack helicopter has been customised as per the requirements of the Indian armed forces to operate both in desert terrains and high-altitude sectors.
- It is the only attack helicopter in the world that can land and take off at an altitude of 5,000 metres (16,400 ft).
- It is fitted with a 5.8-tonne twin-engine named Shakti engine, primarily designed for deployment in high-altitude areas.
- Its maximum speed is 268 kilometres per hour.
- It has a range of 550 kilometres and endurance of over three hours.
- It has the best stealth features, armored-shield systems, and dark-mode attack capability.
- Its crash-resistant landing gear gives it an added edge for better survivability, among other technologies like radar and IR signature.
- A pressurised cabin offers protection from nuclear, biological, and chemical contingencies.
- It is equipped with a countermeasure dispensing system that protects it from enemy radars or infrared seekers of enemy missiles.
- The weapon complement includes a 20mm nose gun in the front, capable of firing 800 rounds per minute from a range of up to 2 km.
Q1) What is Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)?
HAL is an Indian public sector aerospace and defence company, headquartered in Bangalore. Established on 23 December 1940, HAL is one of the oldest and largest aerospace and defence manufacturers in the world.HAL is primarily engaged in the design, development, manufacture, and maintenance of a wide range of aerospace and defense products, including aircraft, helicopters, aero-engines, avionics, and related systems and equipment.