Recently, the Government of India has decided to allow 2000 Primary Agricultural Credit Societies (PACS) to open Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendras across the country.
About Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendras:
- These are set up under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana, which was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers in November 2008.
- Objective: To provide quality medicines at affordable prices for all, particularly the poor, to reduce out-of-pocket expenses in healthcare.
- These Jan Aushadhi Kendras provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy to expensive branded drugs.
- Jan Aushadhi stores also sell allied medical products commonly sold in chemist shops to improve the viability of running the Jan Aushadhi store.
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI) has been established under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. of India, with the support of all the CPSUs for co-coordinating procurement, supply, and marketing of generic drugs through the PMBKs.
- The incentive amount of Rs.5 lakh will be provided to set up Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendra.
Who can open a Jan Aushadhi Kendra?
- State Governments or any organization / reputed NGOs / Trusts / Private hospitals / charitable institutions / Doctors / Unemployed pharmacists/ individual entrepreneurs are eligible to apply for the new Jan Aushadhi Kendra.
- The applicants shall have to employ one B Pharma / D Pharma degree holder as Pharmacist in their proposed store.
Q1) What are Generic drugs?
Generic drugs are medications that are developed and marketed after the patent protection of a brand-name drug has expired. These drugs contain the same active ingredients as their brand-name counterparts and are intended to have the same dosage form, strength, route of administration, and therapeutic effects.
Source: Under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, Government of India has decided to allow 2000 Primary Agricultural Credit Societies (PACS) to open Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendras across the country