The President of India will confer the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar, 2023 to 11 children at an Award ceremony in Delhi on 23 January 2023.
About Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar
- It is given under two categories.
- Bal Shakti Puraskar: This award is given by the Government of India every year to recognize exceptional achievements of children in various fields namely innovation, scholastic achievements, social service, arts & culture, sports and bravery.
- Eligibility criteria: A child who is an Indian Citizen and residing in India and is between 5-18 years of age.
- Award: The award consists of a medal, a cash prize of Rs. 1,00,000, book vouchers worth Rs.10,000, a certificate and a citation.
- It was started in 1996 as the National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement, and renamed in 2018 as Bal Shakti Puraskar.
- Bal Kalyan Puraskar: This is given as recognition to Individuals and Institutions, who have made an outstanding contribution towards service for children in the field of child development, child protection and child welfare.
- Eligibility criteria: An individual who is an Indian Citizen residing in India and should have attained the age of 18 years or above (as of 31st August of the respective year). S/he should have worked for the cause of children for not less than 7 years.
- The institution should not be entirely funded by the government and should have been in the field of child welfare for 10 years and performing consistently in the field.
- Award: The awards are given in each of the two categories - Individual and Institution - along with cash prizes (Rs. 1,00, 000 and Rs. 5,00, 000 respectively).
- It was started in 1979 as the National Child Welfare Awards and in 2018 renamed it as Bal Kalyan Puraskar.
Q1) Who finalises the name for the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar?
National Selection Committee: A National Selection Committee, headed by the Ministry of Women and Child Development will finalize the names of the awardees for the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar.