Recently, Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement that the 17th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) will be held on January 9, 2023, in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
About Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention is the flagship event of the Government of India. It provides an important platform to engage and connect with overseas Indians and to enable the diaspora to interact with each other.
- The theme of 2023 PBD? Diaspora: Reliable partners for India’s progress in Amrit Kaal.
What are the important events to be organised?
- A Commemorative Postal Stamp ‘Surakshit Jaayen, Prashikshit Jaayen’ will be released to underline the importance of safe, legal, orderly and skilled migration.
- The PBD Convention will have five thematic Plenary sessions
- Role of Diaspora Youth in Innovations and new Technologies.
- Role of Indian Diaspora in promoting Indian Healthcare Eco-system in Amrit Kaal: Vision @2047’.
- Leveraging the soft power of India - Goodwill through craft, cuisine & creativity.
- Enabling global mobility of Indian workforce – Role of Indian Diaspora.
- Harnessing the potential of diaspora entrepreneurs towards an inclusive approach to nation-building.
What are the Key facts about PBD?
- 9th January was chosen as the day to celebrate PBD, as it was on this day in 1915 that Mahatma Gandhi, who returned to India from South Africa, led India’s freedom struggle.
- This convention is being held every year since 2003 but in 2015 it was revised and was decided to be celebrated every two years. It was then a theme-based conference that was set up every year during the interim period.
- PBD Conventions are held once every two years
Q1) Who was the political mentor of Mahatma Gandhi?
Mahatma Gandhi was deeply influenced by Gopala Krishna Gokhale and referred to him as his political guru.