Recently, the Union Minister of Earth Sciences said that an umbrella scheme Research, Education and Training Outreach (REACHOUT) is being implemented by the Ministry of Earth Sciences for capacity building.
About the REACHOUT Scheme:
- The Research, Education and Training Outreach (REACHOUT) scheme consists of
- R&D in Earth System Science (RDESS)
- International Training Centre for Operational Oceanography (ITCOocean)
- Program for Development of Skilled manpower in Earth System Sciences (DESK)
- This scheme is being implemented for the entire country and not State/UT-wise.
- The main objectives of the above sub-schemes are
- Supporting various R &D activities in the thrust areas of different components of Earth System Sciences that are theme and need-based and that would help in attaining the National goals set up for MoES.
- Develop useful collaborations with international organizations for the mutual transfer of advanced knowledge in science and technology in Earth Sciences and to provide services to developing countries.
- Develop skilled and trained manpower in Earth Sciences with the support of academic institutions in the country and abroad.
Q1) What is Oceanography?
Oceanography covers a wide range of topics, including marine life and ecosystems, ocean circulation, plate tectonics and the geology of the seafloor, and the chemical and physical properties of the ocean.
Source: Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh says an umbrella scheme Research, Education and Training Outreach (REACHOUT) is being implemented by the Ministry for capacity building