The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has allowed the conversion of regular vehicle registrations into Bharat Series (BH) numbers as part of measures to widen the scope of the BH series ecosystem.
About Bharat (BH) Series:
- The BH series registration mark vide General Statutory Rule (GSR) 594(E) was introduced on August 26, 2021.
- This has come into force with effect from 15th September, 2021.
- It has been incorporated in the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989.
- The implementation of Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 is under the purview of the State Governments/UT administration.
- It has been introduced for citizens working in Government offices or in private organizations with offices in four or more States/UTs, on voluntary basis.
- Applicants, working in Government offices, can avail BH Series facility on the basis of their official ID Card.
- Private Sector employees are required to submit a working certificate, certifying that their organization has offices in 4 or more States/UTs.
- Currently, only new vehicles are being registered under the BH Series.
- So far, 24 states and UTs have rolled out the new Bharat Series (BH-series) for vehicle registration and so far over 20,000 vehicles have been registered across the states.
Q1) What is the BH number plate and what is the benefit?
The Government of India introduced the BH Number Plate or Bharat Series Registration Number for non-transport vehicles in August 2021 to remove the obligation of transferring vehicle registration after moving from one state to the other. The reason to bring the BH series licence plate is to save the time and energy of the citizens from the annoyances of transfers of vehicles each time they relocate.