Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying will launch the Report Fish Disease(RFD) App at Krishi Bhawan New Delhi.
About Report Fish Disease App:
- It will strengthen the farmer-based disease reporting system and for improving the reporting of aquatic animal diseases in the country.
- The app has been developed by ICAR-NBFGR under National Surveillance Programme for Aquatic Animal Diseases (NSPAAD).
- Funded under: Pradhan Mantri MatsyaSampadaYojana by the Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Government of India.
What are the benefits?
- It will help the farmers in reporting the incidence of diseases in finfish, shrimps, and molluscs on their farms with the field-level officers and fish health experts.
- This shall help farmers in getting scientific advice for the efficient management of the disease.
- The data regarding the diseases will be stored on temporal & spatial scales and can be used for mapping the disease cases.
- It would support farmers in improving farmer-based reporting, getting scientific advice, and reducing losses due to diseases, thereby increasing farmers’ income.
Key Facts about Pradhan Mantri MatsyaSampada Yojana
- It is a flagship scheme for focused and sustainable development of the fisheries sector in the country with an estimated investment of Rs. 20,050 crores for its implementation during a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25 in all States/Union Territories.
- What are the aims of the scheme?
- It aims at enhancing fish production by an additional 70 lakh tonnes by 2024-25.
- Increasing fisheries export earnings to Rs.1,00,000 crore by 2024-25.
- Doubling of incomes of fishers and fish farmers, reducing post-harvest losses from 20-25%.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying
Q1) What are Molluscs?
Molluscs are a diverse phylum of invertebrate animals that includes well-known organisms such as snails, clams, squids, and octopuses. They have a soft body that is typically protected by a hard shell, although not all molluscs possess shells.
Source: Shri Parshottam Rupala to launch the ‘Report Fish Disease’ App developed by ICAR- National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources (ICAR-NBFGR) under National Surveillance Programme for Aquatic Animal Diseases (NSPAAD)