Prime Minister recently unveiled the ambitious Rishikesh-Karnprayag Rail Line Project with 17 tunnels covering 125 kilometres.
About Rishikesh-Karnprayag Rail Line Project :
- It is an under-construction railway line, which will run from Yog Nagari Rishikesh railway station in Rishikesh to Karnaprayag in Uttarakhand.
- It is Indian Railways’ proposed route for the Char Dham Railway to connect the Char Dham pilgrimage of Uttarakhand.
- It will help improve connectivity to the Char Dham shrines of Yamunotri, Gangotri, Badrinath, and Kedarnath in the Garhwal region of the Himalayas in Uttarakhand.
- The rail line is about 125.20 km long and will have 12 stations, 35 bridges, and 17 tunnels along with 105.47 km (84.24%) of the track.
- It includes a 15.1 km tunnel between Devprayag and Lachmoli.
- The rail line is also part of an Indian geostrategic initiative to build infrastructure along the India-China border.
- The project is being monitored on the Government of India’s PRAGATI (Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation) portal.
Q1) What Is the Chardham Mahamarg Vikas Pariyojna?
It seeks to improve connectivity between four pilgrimage sites – Kedarnath, Badrinath, Yamunothri, and Gangothri – in Uttarakhand.The project, which costs around Rs 12,000 crore, seeks to develop approximately 889 km of road in the Himalayan region.