India has effectively showcased the capabilities of its indigenous Akash surface-to-air (SAM) weapon system as part of its plans to export these systems.
Why in News?
- In the recent Exercise Astrashakti 2023, a single unit of the Akash weapon system successfully engaged and obliterated four unmanned targets simultaneously.
- This demonstration established India as the first country to exhibit the ability to engage four targets at such distances simultaneously using command guidance from a single firing unit.
About Akash Surface-to-Air Missile (SAM) Defence System:
- It is a Short-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (SRSAM) Defence System to protect vulnerable areas and points from air attacks.
- It was indigenously designed and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- It can simultaneously engage multiple targets and destroy manoeuvring targets, including unmanned aerial vehicles, fighter aircraft, cruise missiles, and missiles launched from helicopters.
- It has built-in Electronic Counter-Counter Measures (ECCM) features.
- The entire weapon system has been configured to be launched from static or mobile platforms such as battle tanks and wheeled trucks, providing flexible deployment.
- It is road and rail transportable, with quick mobilization and deployment capabilities.
- It can engage aerial targets up to a range of approximately 25km.
- Altitude of Operation: 100 m up to 20 km
- Weight: 710 kg
- Guidance System: Command Guidance
- It is fully automatic, with a quick response time from target detection to kill.
- It has an open-system architecture that ensures adaptability to existing and futuristic air defence environments.
Q1) What is the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)?
The DRDO is an agency of the Government of India responsible for the research and development of technology and equipment related to defense and military applications. Established in 1958, DRDO operates under the Ministry of Defence and plays a crucial role in enhancing India's defense capabilities by developing advanced technology, systems, and products.