Recently, Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) launched a new mobile application called SAMUDRA for seafarers and the fishing community.
About SAMUDRA App:
- Smart Access to Marine Users for Ocean Data Resources and Advisories (SAMUDRA) application offers comprehensive information on all ocean related services.
- It is a cutting-edge tool helping users to navigate the marine domain with confidence on their safety, and profitable fishing operations.
- It embodies the institute vision and mission in serving the nation with ocean data, information, and advisory services.
- It will catalyse sustainable ocean activities, thus enabling a way forward for the Blue Economy,
- It empowers users with real-time updates and critical alerts on oceanic disasters such as tsunamis, storm surges, high waves, and swell surge alerts, for the individuals and communities to stay informed and take necessary precautions towards the protection of lives and property.
- It will be especially beneficial to the fishing community as it disseminates Potential Fishing Zone (PFZ) advisories which will guide them to the probable fish aggregation locations.
- It is currently serving in English, soon eight coastal languages are proposed to be included soon.
What is INCOIS?
- It was established as an autonomous body in 1999 under the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES).
- Mandate: To provide the best possible ocean information and advisory services to society, industry, government agencies and the scientific community through sustained ocean observations and constant improvements through systematic and focused research.
Q1) What is Tsunami?
A tsunami is a series of large ocean waves generated by underwater disturbances, usually caused by earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, or landslides. These waves can travel across entire ocean basins and have the potential to cause widespread and significant destruction when they reach coastal areas.