Recently, Tamil writer Sivasankari was presented with the ‘Saraswati Samman’ 2022 for her book of memoirs Surya Vamsam.
About Saraswati Samman Award:
- It is given annually for outstanding literary works in 22 Indian languages in the last 10 years.
- It is among the highest recognitions in the field of Indian literature.
- The selection follows a rigorous three-tier process leading up to a final decision by Chayan Parishad
- It was instituted by the K.K. Birla Foundation. (the Vyas Samman and the Bihari Puraskar are other literary awards instituted by the foundation.)
- It carries a citation, a plaque and prize money of 15 lakh rupees.
Other works of Sivasankari
- Sivasankari’s literary career spans over five decades. She is the author of 36 novels, 48 novellas, 150 short stories, 15 travelogues, seven collections of essays, and three biographies.
- Her 2019 memoir, Surya Vamsam, unfolds in two volumes -- the first is the metamorphosis from a child to a young writer, and the second is the life and times of an acclaimed author spreading her wings.
Q1) What is Sahitya Akademi?
It is India's premier literary organization and a government-funded institution. It was established in 1954 with the goal of promoting and preserving the rich and diverse literary heritage of India. It is responsible for recognizing and encouraging outstanding works of literature in various Indian languages.