upsc , Prelims Pointers, current affairs for Prelims revision, UPSC Current Affairs, daily current affairs
About Satellite phones:
- He was arrested under sections of the Indian Telegraph Act and the Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act.
Rules regarding Satellite phones in India
- It’s not legal to carry satellite phone in India unless you have permission.Visitors to the country are specifically advised not to carry a satellite phone without permission.
- Restrictions on the possession and use of these phones were tightened after the Pakistani terrorists who attacked Mumbai in November 2008 used these devices to keep in touch with their Lashkar-e-Taiba handlers.
- A notification on the website of the Department of Telecommunications says: “Satellite phones are permitted:
- (i) With specific permission/ NOC from Department of Telecommunications, Government of India; or
- (ii) As provisioned by M/s BSNL in accordance with license granted to M/s BSNL for provision and operation of satellite based service using Gateway installed in India".'
Source : Indian Express