Sophisticated Analytical & Technical Help Institutes (SATHI)

CalendarToday
timer
1 min read
Sophisticated Analytical & Technical Help Institutes (SATHI) Blog Image

Overview:

The Centre’s move to cancel a call for proposals under the Department of Science and Technology (DST)’s SATHI programme has sparked fears among higher education institutions.

About Sophisticated Analytical & Technical Help Institutes (SATHI)

  • It is an initiative by the Department of Science and Technology to boost access to research and testing facilities and address problems of accessibility, maintenance, redundancy, and duplication of expensive equipment in Institutions.
  • It aims to set up a shared, professionally managed Science and Technology (S&T) infrastructure facility which can be readily accessible to academia, start-ups, manufacturing units, industries, and R&D labs. 
  • Such S&T infrastructure will be known as the Sophisticated Analytical & Technical Help Institute (SATHI).
  • These Centres will be equipped with major analytical instruments and advanced manufacturing facilities which are usually not available at Institutes / Organisations.
  • It would encourage and ensure the establishment of a National Network of Laboratories and testing facilities tightly linked to global standards. 
  • SATHI facilities will be used for 80% of their available time by external users i.e. out-side of the host institutes and the remaining 20% of their available time by internal users of the host institute.
  • The usage of the facility will be guided by the basic principle of maximum and effective utilization and accessibility for all.
  • The facilities provided by the SATHI may be utilized by any user or organization upon payment of nominal charges. 
  • Funding:
    • Proposals from well-established, internationally competitive S&T host institutes / R&D Centres / Organizations irrespective of their status as Government / NonGovernment, from State/ Central Universities are invited through networking and a cluster approach. 
    • The upper limit of funding support from DST would be Rs 60.0 crores for duration of 4 years, for acquiring only state-of-the-art national facilities.
    • A not-for-profit Section-8 company as well as Governing Body (GB) formation is compulsory in consortium mode before the support of granting agency.
  • Duration: The duration of support for the SATHI Project will be for a period not exceeding 4 years.

Q1) What are higher education institutions?

Higher-educational institutions include not only universities and colleges but also various professional schools that provide preparation in such fields as law, theology, medicine, business, music, and art. Higher education also includes teacher-training schools, junior colleges, and institutes of technology.

Source: Cancellation of notification for DST scheme worries researchers