Who are DNTs?
- The term ‘De-notified Tribes’ stands for all those communities which were once notified under the Criminal Tribes Acts, enforced by the British Raj between l87l and I947.
- These Acts were repealed after Independence in 1952, and these communities were “De-Notified”.
- The DNTs are the most neglected, marginalized, and economically and socially deprived communities.
What is the SEED scheme?
- It was launched by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
Components of the scheme:
- Free Coaching: The objective of this component is to enable them to appear in competitive examinations/ admission to professional courses like medicine, engineering, MBA, etc. for obtaining an appropriate job in the Public/Private Sector.
- Health Insurance: The primary objective of the scheme is to provide financial assistance to National Health Authority (NHA) in association with State Health Agencies (SHAs). These agencies will provide a health insurance cover of Rs.5 lakhs per family per year for families as per norms of “Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana.
- Livelihood Initiatives: The primary objective of the scheme is to provide financial assistance to National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM). It would enhance productivity growth in key livelihood sectors for employment generation through investments in institutional support, and technical assistance.
- Financial support for Housing: It is for those who have not taken benefit of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana as SC, ST, OBC and are living below the poverty line. The admissible support is Rs 1.20 lakhs in plains and 1.30 lakhs in hilly areas (per unit assistance).
Q1) What is one of the eligibility criteria for getting financial assistance for the nomadic denotified tribes studying in self-financed institutes?
Under the Scheme for economic empowerment of DNT communities (SEED), families having income from all sources of Rs. 2.50 lakh per annum or less should not avail any such benefits from similar schemes of Centre Government or the State Government to get financial assistance for studies.