The Union Cabinet recently gave its nod for the construction of the Shinku La tunnel to provide all-weather connectivity to the border areas of Ladakh.
About Shinku La tunnel:
- It will be constructed at an altitude of over 16,500 feet on the Nimu-Padam-Darcha road link on the border between Ladakh and Himachal Pradesh.
- The length of the tunnel will be 4.1 km.
- The Border Roads Organization (BRO) will construct the tunnel at a cost of Rs. 1,681.5 crores.
- The traffic movement in the tunnel will not be vulnerable to long-range artillery shelling or missile firings either by China or Pakistan.
- To provide all-weather connectivity to the border areas of Ladakh.
- To enable swift movement of troops and heavy weaponry to forward areas.
Q1) What is the Border Roads Organization (BRO)?
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) is a road construction executive force under the Ministry of Defense. BRO develops and maintains road networks in India's border areas and friendly neighboring countries.