The Ministry of Skill Development recently launched the Skill India Digital (SID) platform.
About Skill India Digital (SID) Platform:
- SID serves as India’s Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI) for the skill development, education, employment and entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- SID Platform aims to bring all skilling initiatives under a single umbrella and provide skill development and entrepreneurial support to people.
- Built by the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) in collaboration with multiple industry players, the platform is part of the World Bank-assisted Skill Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (SANKALP) programme.
- The platform aligns with the vision articulated in the G20 framework for building Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI) and the digital economy.
- More than 264 skilling courses from 42,623 centres across the country will be available under the platform.
- SID Platform application can be downloaded on the App Store and Google Play Store.
- It supports multiple Indian languages for inclusivity and uses Aadhaar-based eKYC for secure access.
- It is committed to being user-friendly, with an easy-to-use interface adaptable to various devices for accessibility.
- The platform incorporates Aadhar-enabled facial recognition technology as well as artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms to recommend customised courses to students.
- The platform also integrates government training programmes from both Central and State governments, creating a unified hub for skill development initiatives.
- It has introduced Digitally Verified Credentials (DVCs), a secure and tamper-proof way to showcase skills and qualifications. Users can confidently present their qualifications in a digital format that is inherently authentic.
- Additionally, SID offers Digital CVs through personalized QR Codes for easy access to an individual’s skills and experiences.
Q1) What is the Skill Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (SANKALP) programme?
Skill Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (“SANKALP”) is a programme of the Ministry of Skill Development with loan assistance from the World Bank. It aims to improve short term skill training qualitatively and quantitatively through strengthening institutions, bringing in better market connectivity and inclusion of marginalized sections of the society. SANKALP was launched on 19th January 2018 and has a tenure till March 2023.