Recently, the union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has issued scheme guidelines for implementation of strategic interventions for green hydrogen transition (SIGHT) programme
About SIGHT programme:
- It is a sub component under the National Green Hydrogen Mission.
- Aim of the programme:
- Component I: It aims at providing electrolyzer manufacturing incentives with a total outlay of INR 4440 crore
- Component II: It focuses on green hydrogen production with financial outlay of INR 13050 crore.
- Implementing agency: The Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) would be the implementing agency responsible for the scheme’s execution.
Key facts about National Green Hydrogen Mission
- It was launched in 2022, with the goal of making India energy independent and decarbonising major sectors of the economy.
- Benefits of this mission
- India’s Green Hydrogen production capacity is likely to reach at least 5 MMT per annum, with an associated renewable energy capacity addition of about 125 GW.
- The targets by 2030 are likely to bring in over Rs. 8 lakh crore investments.
- Nearly 50 MMT per annum of CO2 emissions are expected to be averted by 2030.
What is the green hydrogen?
- It is the gas produced by splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen using an electrolyzer that may be powered by electricity generated from renewable energy sources.
Q1) What is Electrolysis ?
It is a chemical process that uses an electric current to drive a non-spontaneous chemical reaction. It involves the decomposition of an electrolyte, which can be a liquid solution or molten compound, into its constituent elements or ions.