Recently, the Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution asked the states to make earnest efforts to implement the SMART-PDS system.
About SMART-PDS System:
- The Department of Food and Public Distribution (DFPD) is envisaging a new and unified scheme to strengthen the PDS technology components by standardization of its operation and implementing data-driven decision-making through data analytics.
- Full-Form: Scheme for Modernization and Reforms through Technology in Public Distribution System.
- This scheme aims to transform the entire PDS IT ecosystem by leveraging the usage of the Cloud and new-age technology.
Components of SMART-PDS
- Smart Ration Card: SMART-PDS is a system where smart ration cards are issued to beneficiaries of the public distribution system, and ration is given through fair price shops on the production of the smart ration card by any member of the beneficiary family.
- Fingerprint Template: The fingerprint template of the beneficiary is recorded in these smart ration cards, which record all transactions.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
Q1:What isthe PDS system?
Public distribution system is a government-sponsored chain of shops entrusted with the work of distributing basic food and non-food commodities to the needy sections of the society at very cheap prices.