Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister recently said that 4G services would be extended to the Spiti Valley.
About Spiti Valley:
- It is a cold desert mountain valley located in the northeastern part of Himachal Pradesh.
- It is located in the rain shadow region of the Greater Himalayan ranges.
- The name Spiti or Piti — as it is known among the locals— means ‘The middle land’ that is the land between India and Tibet.
- The valley is bounded by the districts of Kinnaur in the southeast, Kullu in the south, and the valleys of Zanskar & Ladakh in the north.
- In the east, Spiti shares its boundary with Tibet.
- Highest Point: Kunzum La (pass) 4551 m.
- Language: Natives communicate in Stod Bhoti, a subgroup of the Tibetan languages. Hindi and English are understood and spoken by the people engaged in the tourism trade.
- The famous Tabo Monastery (a favourite of the Dalai Lama) is located in Spiti Valley.
Q1) Where is Kunzum La pass?
One of India's highest motorable mountain pass, Kunzum La Pass is the majestic gateway to the Spiti Valley via Kullu and Lahaul Valley in Himachal Pradesh. Kunzum pass is situated at an altitude of around 15,059 feet above the sea level and lies on the eastern Kunzum range of the Himalayas, around 122 kms from Manali