Recently, the Union Minister of Science and Technology launched the SUPREME initiative to provide financial support for the upgradation and maintenance of analytical instrumentation facilities (AIFs).
About SUPREME Initiative:
- The Support for Up-gradation Preventive Repair and Maintenance of Equipment (SUPREME), is a first-of-its-kind programme by the government.
- It extends financial support for repair, upgradation, maintenance, retrofitting, or acquiring additional attachments to increase the functional capabilities of existing analytical instrumentation facilities.
- Eligibility: Different facilities created under the projects/ Analytical instrumentation facilities (AIFs) created earlier from the support of DST, only will be considered for the funding support under this Scheme
- Such facilities at institutions recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC) are eligible to apply for grants under this initiative.
- Duration: The duration of support will be for a period not exceeding 3 years.
- Funding Pattern: The funding pattern in the scheme would be 75:25 for all private and govt owned institutions (except for state-funded institutions for which 100% funding would be considered).
- The Criterion for Selection:
- Apart from the academic and research merits of the organizations, details of how the revival of the research facility will benefit the scientific community/MSMEs/Startups will be taken into account for evaluating the proposals.
- Proven records of the sample(s) analysed, publications, patents, different beneficiaries/stakeholders associated with the facility and other parameters like Scientific Social Responsibility/ industrial R&D components will be considered for screening of the proposals.
- The selection process will be through a peer review mechanism and a visit to the organizations, if necessary.
- Expert Committee will evaluate the proposals and assist DST in making the final selection.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Science and Technology
Q1) What is University Grants Commission?
The University Grants Commission (UGC) is a statutory body established by the Government of India under the Ministry of Education to coordinate, determine and maintain the standards of university education in India. It was established in 1956 under the University Grants Commission Act, 1956.