The 17th edition of Joint Military Exercise SURYA KIRAN will be conducted in Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand from 24th November to 07th December 2023.
About Exercise SURYA KIRAN
- It is a joint military exercise between Indian army and Nepal army.
- It is an annual event and conducted alternatively in the two countries.
- The Indian Army contingent of 354 personnel is being led by a Battalion from the KUMAON Regiment. The Nepal Army contingent is represented by Tara Dal Battalion.
- Aim of the exercise is to enhance interoperability in jungle warfare, counter terrorism operations in mountainous terrain and Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief under United Nations Charter on peacekeeping operations.
- The exercise will focus on employment of drones and counter drone measures, medical training, aviation aspects and also environment conservation.
- The exercise will provide a platform for soldiers from India and Nepal to exchange ideas and experiences; share best practices and foster a deeper understanding of each other’s operational procedures.
- This exercise signifies the strong bonds of friendship, trust, common cultural linkages that exist between India and Nepal.
- It sets the stage for a productive and fruitful engagement, showcasing the unwavering commitment of both nations towards broader defence cooperation.
Q1) What is the Kumaon Regiment ?
It is the most decorated regiment of the Indian Army. The regiment traces its origins to the 18th century and has fought in every major campaign of the British Indian Army and the Indian Army, including the two world wars. Kumaon gets its recruits from Kumaonis of Kumaon division and Ahirs from the plains