Eco-tourism has been identified as one of the Niche Tourism areas for development in the country, including Odisha, by the Ministry of Tourism.
About the Swadesh Darshan Scheme:
- Implementing Ministry: Ministry of Tourism.
- Type of Scheme: Central Sector Scheme.
- Launched in:2014-15.
- Developing critical tourism infrastructure to make India a world class tourist destination.
- This scheme is envisioned to synergise with other schemes like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Skill India, Make in India etc. with the idea of positioning the tourism sector as a major engine for job creation, the driving force for economic growth, building synergy with various sectors to enable tourism to realise its potential.
- Under the Scheme 15 circuits have been identified for development namely Himalayan Circuit, North East Circuit, Krishna Circuit, Buddhist Circuit and Coastal Circuit, Desert Circuit, Tribal Circuit, Eco Circuit, Wildlife Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Ramayana Circuit, Heritage Circuit, Tirthankar Circuit and Sufi Circuit.
Swadesh Darshan Scheme 2.0
- It aims to evolve the Swadesh Darshan Scheme as a holistic mission to develop sustainable and responsible tourism destinations covering tourism and allied infrastructure, tourism services, human capital development, destination management and promotion backed by policy and institutional reforms.
- Major themes have been identified for tourism under the Scheme.
- Culture and Heritage
- Adventure Tourism
- Wellness Tourism
- MICE Tourism
- Rural Tourism
- Beach Tourism
- Cruises – Ocean & Inland
Q1) Which city has been included under the Swadesh Darshan 2. 0 scheme?
The Ministry of Tourism has revamped its Swadesh Darshan scheme as Swadesh Darshan 2.0 (SD2. 0) with the objective to develop sustainable and responsible tourism destinations, following a tourist & destination centric approach. Gaya and Nalanda have been selected for development under SD2.