Recently, Indian wrestlers and Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) Athletes Vinesh Phogat and Bajrang Punia are set to head out to Kyrgystan and Hungary for international training campus
About Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS):
- In order to improve India’s performance at Olympics and Paralympics it was started the September 2014.
- It is a flagship program of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports which is an attempt to provide assistance to India’s top athletes.
- It was revamped in 2018 to include a technical support team to manage the TOPS athletes and offer comprehensive assistance.
- The Ministry prioritises the selection of TOPS members, with an emphasis on ensuring representation from high-priority sports such as Archery, Badminton, Boxing, Hockey, Shooting, and Wrestling.
- Category: The sports persons are selected mainly in two categories namely; the Core Group and the Development Group.
- Out of Pocket Allowance’ of Rs 50,000 per month is given to the selected Athletes in Core Group and Rs 25,000 per month to athletes in Development Group for meeting contingent and miscellaneous expenses.
- To provide assistance to athletes selected under the Scheme, a dedicated body called the Mission Olympic Cell was established.
- This body operates under the leadership of the Director General of the Sports Authority of India.
Q1) What is Olympics?
The Olympics, officially known as the Olympic Games, is an international multi-sport event held every four years. It brings together athletes from various nations to compete in a wide range of sports and disciplines.