Recently, the union Raksha Rajya Mantri informed Lok Sabha that 16 defence technologies have been successfully developed/realised under the Technology Development Fund (TDF) scheme.
About Technology Development Fund (TDF) scheme
- It is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Defence executed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) under ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- The main objectives of the scheme are:
- To provide Grant in Aid to Indian industries, including MSMEs and Start-ups, as well as academic and scientific institutions for the development of Defence and dual use technologies that are currently not available with the Indian defence Industry.
- To engage with the private industries especially MSMEs and Start-ups to bring in the culture of Design & Development of Military Technology and support them with Grant in Aid.
- To focus on Research, Design & Development of Niche technologies which are being developed for the first time in the country.
- To create a bridge amongst the Armed Forces, research organizations, academia and qualifying/certifying agencies with private sector entities.
- To support the futuristic technologies having a Proof of Concept and converting them into prototype.
- Funding Support:
- The funding will be through provision of grants to the Industry.
- The project cost of up to INR 10 Cr will be considered for funding, subject to a maximum of 90% of the total project cost.
- Industry may work in collaboration with academia or research institutions.
- The work involvement of academia cannot exceed 40% of the total project cost.
- Project Duration: Maximum development period will be two years.
Q1) What is the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)?
It is the R&D wing of the Ministry of Defence, Govt of India, with a vision to empower India with cutting-edge defence technologies and a mission to achieve self-reliance in critical defence technologies and systems.It is India's largest research organisation.
Source: TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT FUND