Indian Railways’ Kolkata Metro plans to replace steel third rail with composite Aluminium third rail Current Collector.
About Third Rail Current Collector:
- The third rail systems are a means of providing electric power to a train through a conductor placed alongside the rails.
- Kolkata Metro Railway using steel Third Rail for the last 40 years.
- Kolkata Metro Railway has now decided to use composite Aluminium Third Rail in all the upcoming corridors being undertaken for construction along with retro fitment in existing corridor with steel Third Rail.
- With this Metro Railway, Kolkata would become the member of elite club of London, Moscow, Berlin, Munich, and Istanbul Metro who have also shifted from steel Third Rail to Aluminium Third Rail.
- The obvious advantages of aluminium composite Third Rail over steel Third Rail are
- Reduction in resistive current loss and improved Traction voltage level.
- Reduced maintenance and life cycle cost.
- Improvement in the efficiency of train operations.
- Huge improvement in Energy Efficiency
- Reduction in carbon footprint
Q1) What is Aluminium?
Aluminium is a chemical element with the symbol Al and atomic number 13. It is a lightweight, silvery-white, and non-ferrous metal, making it a highly valuable material with a wide range of industrial applications.