Why in news?
As part of the initiative, the UNDP will distribute the `Jan Dhan’ account kits to waste segregation workers.
- The opening of the `Jan Dhan’ accounts has been facilitated through the UNDP’s plastic waste management programme.
- The waste management promotes the collection, segregation, and recycling of all plastics to move towards a circular economy for the same.
- This is done at ‘Swachhta Kendra’ or material recovery facilities.
- The plastic collected and processed so far has already crossed 1,38,000 metric tonnes.
- The programme also ensures the well-being and financial inclusion of the `Safai Sathis’ or waste-pickers, by linking them to the social protection schemes.
- According to the UN agency, a key objective of the programme is to help move the sector from informal to formal.
- This is done by linking them to social protection schemes like the `Jan Dhan’ accounts, Aadhar cards, `Ayushman Bharat’, pension schemes, and scholarships for children, among others.
Q1) What is the role of UNDP?
UNDP helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, UNDP encourages the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women
Source: The Hindu