The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change is organising a Country-Led Initiative (CLI) event as part of the United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF) from 26-28 October, 2023 at the Forest Research Institute (FRI), Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
About United Nations Forum on Forests
- It promotes the management, conservation, and sustainable development of all types of forests.
- It was established in 2000 by the UN Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC).
- The Forum meets annually at the UN Headquarters in New York, bringing together representatives of all member states and forests-related agencies for high-level dialogue on technical matters in odd years and policy matters in even years.
- The forum has universal membership, and is composed of all Member States of the United Nations and specialized agencies.
- India is a founding member of UNFF.
What is a Country-Led Initiative (CLI)?
- Its primary goal is to contribute to the discussions of UNFF regarding the implementation of Sustainable Forest Management and the UN Strategic Plan for Forests.
- It also aims to facilitate the sharing of best practices among UNFF member States for the implementation of SFM and the UNSPF.
- This year CLI will discuss thematic areas involving forest fires and forest certification.
Q1) What is ECOSOC?
The "Economic and Social Council" of the United Nations is one of the principal organs of the UN and plays a crucial role in promoting international economic and social cooperation and development. Established in 1945 under the United Nations Charter.