Recently, the Union Minister for Culture presented the Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puraskar (UBKYP) at Meghdoot Theatre Complex, Rabindra Bhavan, New Delhi.
About Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva puraskar:
- The Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puraskar, given to artists up to the age of 40 years, was introduced in the year 2006.
- It is presented annually to artists who have demonstrated conspicuous talent in the fields of music, dance and drama.
- The award is presented by Sangeet Natak Akademi.
- It carries award money of Rs 25,000/- an Angavastram and a plaque.
- Nodal Ministry: Minister of Culture.
Who was Ustad Bismillah Khan?
- He was a famous Shehnai musician.
- It was Ustad ‘Bismillah” Khan who also played at the first Republic Day celebration in 1950.
- Bismillah Khan was the first Indian to be invited to perform at the prestigious Lincoln Centre Hall in the United States of America.
Key facts about the Sangeet Natak Akademi
- Sangeet Natak Akademi is India’s national academy of music, dance and drama.
- It was created by a resolution of the Ministry of Education, with Dr P.V. Rajamannar as its first Chairman.
- Presently it is an Autonomous Body of the Ministry of Culture and is fully funded by the Government for the implementation of its schemes and programmes.
Q1) What is a Shehnai’?
Shehnai’ is a musical instrument that originated from the Indian subcontinent. It is made out of wood, with a double reed at one end and a metal or wooden flared bell at the other end.
Source: Shri G. Kishan Reddy presents Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puraskar 2019, 2020 and 2021 to102 artists (including three joint awards) of India who has made a mark as young talents in their respective fields of performing arts