About Wangala Dance:
- The Wangala Festival, also known as the 100 drum festival is celebrated with much zeal and enthusiasm in India’s north-eastern state of Meghalaya.
- Celebrated since 1976, it’s the most important festival of the Garo tribe and attracts a lot of tourists.
- During the Wangala, tribals offer sacrifices to please their deity Saljong, the Sun God.
- It marks the end of the long harvest season.
- The celebration also signifies the end of a long toil period in the field for the Garo tribe before the start of the winters.
- The first day of the festival is celebrated with a ceremony called Ragula which is performed in the house of the village’s chief.
Source : The Hindu