The Minister of State for Labour and Employment recently informed Lok Sabha that the Labour Bureau has undertaken an All India Domestic Workers Survey.
About All India Domestic Workers Survey:
- This is the first-ever such survey in independent India which was initiated in 2021.
- The survey would cover all States and Union Territories, covering 1.5 lakh households in 742 districts.
- The main objectives of the survey are:
- Estimate the number/proportion of domestic workers at the National and State level.
- Household Estimates of Live-in/Live-out DWs.
- The average number of DWs engaged by different types of households.
Key facts of the Labour bureau
- Labour Bureau is an attached office under the Ministry of Labour and Employment, which was set up on 1st October 1946.
- It is entrusted with the work of compilation, collection, analysis and dissemination of statistics on different aspects of labour.
- It releases Consumer Price Index Numbers for Industrial Workers, Agricultural/Rural Labourers, Retail Price Index of Selected Essential Commodities in Urban Areas etc.
- Quick Employment Survey and Employment-Unemployment survey are also being conducted by Labour Bureau.
Q1) What is Consumer Price Index?
The Consumer Price Index is an important economic metric. It measures the average change in prices paid by consumers over a period of time for a basket of goods and services over time.
Source: All India Domestic Workers Survey undertaken by Labour Bureau